Quick Overview: How To Season Ground Turkey
- Add olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, yellow onions and pepper to a bowl.
- On a cutting board, chop cilantro and green onions.
- Then, add kosher salt and pepper to the seasonings bowl and the cilantro and green onions.
- Heat a skillet at medium heat.
- Add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add ground turkey. (Stirring occasionally to break up clumps.)
- Add seasonings, and continue to stir occasionally.
- Add water and simmer for a few minutes.
- Once the meat is not pink anymore, you have yourself a seasoned turkey.
Ground Turkey is best known for its delicious taste, and that comes from the seasonings used to bring out its flavor profile. Ground turkey meat is not as time-consuming as cooking a whole seasoned turkey. Lean ground turkey is known for being a healthier and leaner alternative compared to other meats, like ground beef since it has less saturated fat and is made with drumsticks and thighs.
Lean ground meat is a great choice of meat, thanks to its significantly low-fat content which makes it an easy dinner that is also incredibly healthy. Let’s begin this article by talking about the ingredients you would need to bring this meat to life. (Not literally.)
Chef's Knife 10"Delta Wolf Series | Dalstrong&Dalstrong Series Infinity Series Wood- Fibre Cutting Board - Large - Obsidian Black
1. The Secret Ingredient To Season Ground Turkey
There are plenty of easy ground turkey recipes out there. But, you will always need spices like olive oil, kosher salt and pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. You can add minced garlic, and freshly chopped onions and peppers, for an extra edge.
In fact, the secret ingredient is water. You read that correctly. Water is crucial for all ground meats, not just a seasoned turkey.
If you’re using an air fryer to make some ground turkey burger patties or meatballs, the turkey can get quite dehydrated. Since ground meat is not as moist as regular meats, water helps in holding the seasonings, as well as preventing it from becoming dry.
Be it deviled eggs, potato salads, or your family’s passed down casserole recipes or chili recipes, a seasoned turkey can always fit on these delectable dishes. But, let’s talk about seasoning some infamous ground turkey meat tacos.
2. Best Seasonings For Turkey Taco
Ground turkey tacos are always a hit, especially for Cinco de Mayo! Here is everything you would need before you get started. Did you know that a serving of ground turkey taco meat is healthier than chicken thigh or a baked chicken recipe?
Here’s how you can make your own taco or burrito bowl with some seasoned turkey.
- Chili powder
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Brown sugar
- Olive Oil
- Freshly chopped onion and peppers
- Bell Peppers
- Hot sauce
- Black beans
- In a bowl,add chili powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt and pepper and mix well.
- Once you’ve mixed the spices, you can choose to add taco seasoning.
- Heat your skillet over medium heat and add your turkey and beans to it.
- Reduce the heat and allow the ground turkey to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once the liquid is absorbed from your skillet, hot sauce and brown sugar. (Stirring occasionally)
- Let the ground meat combine with the vinegar and brown sugar for 4 minutes, and then transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese and serve taco meat in taco shells or for a burrito bowl or a taco salad
- You can add hot sauce to your ground turkey seasoning to spice up the taco meat.
- If you prefer a tangier version of tacos, add enchilada sauce when the ground turkey is simmering in the skillet.
- Place these ingredients on a foil packet sheet and steam for a low carb burrito bowl or taco salad.
- Serve taco meat leftovers over deviled eggs.
3. Best Seasonings For Turkey Burgers
Since ground turkey burgers are made with lean meat, they can make healthy meals for weeknight dinners if you meal prep. They can be made in an air fryer for a low carb version of sandwiches and wraps, too.
In a nutshell, ground turkey burger patties can be used for just about any meat recipe. Thanks to this easy recipe, there are very few ingredients that are needed. Most of which can be found in your kitchen. Just remember to put on an apron before you get to work with these burger patties.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large beaten egg
- Minced garlic
- Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Kosher salt
- Salt and pepper
- Onion powder
- Olive oil
- Burger buns
- Sliced tomatoes
- In a bowl, mix ground turkey, egg, freshly chopped garlic, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, onion powder, and salt and pepper.
- Mince well until the ground turkey is well-coated with all the seasonings.
- Using your hands, mold the burger patties. (1 pound of ground turkey should give you four burger patties.)
- In a skillet, on medium heat, add some olive oil.
- Cook the burger patties for 5 minutes on each side.
- With a slotted spatula, remove the burger patties from the skillet, and lay them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Slice open a burger bun with a knife and layer lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonnaise.
4. Ground Turkey Recipes
Thanksgiving isn’t complete without a seasoned turkey, so here’s our take on traditional turkey recipes, but with ground turkey meat.
Ground Turkey Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Sweet or savory, pie recipes are loved across the globe. So, here’s how you can nail a ground turkey shepherd's pie recipe.
- Ground turkey
- Peeled potatoes
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Melted butter
- Sour cream
- Olive oil
- Chopped yellow onion and peppers
- Peeled carrots
- Minced garlic
- Freshly chopped thyme, sage, and parsley
- All-purpose flour
- Turkey broth
- Preheat your oven to 400º F.
- In a stock pot, add potatoes and water with a pinch of kosher salt and let it boil over medium heat.
- Bring potatoes to a boil by simmering for 16-18 minutes.
- Mash potatoes until smooth.
- Add milk, melted butter, cheese, and sour cream to the bowl and mash.
- In a skillet, add ground turkey, olive oil, carrots, chopped onions, garlic, thyme, and sage over medium heat.
- Top the turkey mixture with the freshly mashed potatoes and bake on a sheet pan or in a skillet until golden. (This should take no more than 35 minutes)
- Broiling this dish can make a big difference as the consistency becomes creamier.
- You can store additional burger patties in a foil packet.
- In this recipe, cooking meat shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes.
Ground Turkey Chili Recipe
- Olive oil
- Red onion and peppers
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Minced garlic
- Chopped tomatoes
- Drained black beans or kidney beans
- Chicken broth
- Chili powder
- Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Green onions for garnish
- Over medium heat, in a skillet, heat some olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add chopped yellow onion and pepper and cook until it is tender. (Ideally, this should take no longer than 4 minutes)
- Add your ground turkey to the skillet, stirring occasionally until the meat has a golden tinge to it.
- Add some kosher salt and minced garlic to the skillet with the tomato paste, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Bring out your instant pot and transfer the food from the skillet to it.
- Once the food is in the instant pot, add crushed tomatoes, black or kidney beans, and chili powder.
- Cook the chili on high heat for 4 hours, or 9 hours on medium heat. You can whip out a sheet from the foil packet and cover it over your instant pot. Towards the end, your chili should have a thick consistency. You can add some more kosher salt and pepper to the mix if necessary.
- Turn your instant pot off and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and green onion. Enjoy your low-carb meal.
- For a healthier version of chili, swap the standard chicken broth with some low-sodium broth, and watch it make all the difference. (This is because the tomatoes add a sour tang to chili, anyway.)
- When following a sauce recipe, choose broth that has low sodium and low fat content.
- For a healthier meal, serve over cauliflower rice.
Ground Turkey Potato Salad Recipe
Cooking ground turkey without a classic potato salad recipe is simply impossible. We can agree, when it comes to potato recipes, potato salads come right at the top.
The freshly chopped parsley combined with Greek yogurt can elevate it beyond your imagination. So, here’s our take on this iconic salad recipe.
- Cooked ground turkey
- Chopped Onion and peppers (Diced)
- Greek yogurt (the one with a low fat content is ideal)
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Potatoes (Diced)
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, mustard, thyme, chopped parsley, dill, and peppers. Mix well.
- In another bowl, add your cooked ground turkey, diced potatoes and chopped onions. Mix well.
- Combine the dry and wet seasonings and mix them well.
- Taste the potato salad with a tasting spoon. If you need to add more kosher salt or pepper, now would be the best time to do so before you refrigerate the potato salad.
- Refrigerate for an hour and serve cold.
5. Nutritional Information
Whether you’re confused between breakfast casserole recipes, egg recipes, chicken soup recipes, or just about any of our taco meat recipes for Cinco de Mayo, as long as you’re using ground turkey meat, you’ll mostly be devouring a low carb meal.
This is because turkey and ground beef are much healthier compared to other meats, thanks to their lean nature. Here is all the nutritional information, or food news as I like to call it, you would need to understand the benefits of turkey meat.
- Speaking of taco recipes, taco meat made from ground turkey is rich in vitamins and low in sodium. It also has lower fat content than other meats.
- If you’re on a journey towards weight loss, ground turkey is an excellent choice for protein.
- Turkey in general has less saturated fat, which makes it a safe and healthy meat to keep cardiovascular diseases at bay.
- Ground turkey is loaded with minerals such as Zinc and Selenium.
- It is an excellent choice of meat for bone health since this meat is packed with Phosphorus.
6. Dalstrong’s Best Skillets To Cook Ground Turkey
This hybrid of a skillet and frying pan is one of our best-sellers for all the right reasons. It is the embodiment of function meeting form and is simply perfect for meal prep.
- Excellent heat conductivity.
- Smudge-free layers of aluminum for heat retention.
- Comes with a higher price tag.
Pair your cookware pieces with this skillet hybrid that has excellent conductivity and is made with premium quality stainless steel.
- Equipped with a vented lid for preventing spills.
- Oven and broiler safe.
- If you’re looking for a nonstick skillet, I suggest this skillet.
- You could be on the lookout for a smaller skillet, I suggest this one.
Oven, broiler, and dishwasher safe, this skillet and frying pan hybrid can last for generations thanks to its stainless steel build. It is light in weight compared to most skillets.
- Made with non-toxic and hypoallergenic materials.
- Perfect for browning and braising turkey meat for a taco recipe.
- You might be looking for a larger skillet. I suggest this one right here.
- If you’re looking for a nonstick skillet, this might be a better match.
7. Frequently Asked Questions
How do you add flavor to ground turkey?
Turkey meat can be flavored with easy ingredients like kosher salt and pepper, bell peppers, garlic powder, and olive oil. If you’re cooking meat, specifically turkey taco meat, hot sauce and enchilada sauce are your best mates.
Should you season ground turkey before cooking?
You don’t need to season lean ground type of meatbefore cooking. However, you can marinate ground turkey for a turkey burger or turkey meatballs.
What flavors go well with turkey?
Since turkey meat makes an easy weeknight dinner recipe, it is best to throw in some brown sugar or maple syrup for a sweeter flavor. Or, pepper, sage, and lemon for a savory flavor.
What herbs go with ground turkey?
Ground turkey and ground meat in general are brought to life with herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, sage, and basil.
How should ground turkey be cooked?
Ground turkey should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F (73.9°C) to ensure it's safe to eat. Begin by browning it in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a spatula. Add spices, sauces, or vegetables as desired. Use a meat thermometer to confirm the correct temperature is reached.
How long should you boil ground turkey?
Ground turkey should be boiled for about 10-12 minutes. Boiling ground turkey is a method often used to cook it for recipes like soups or stews. Ensure the turkey reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (73.9°C) by using a meat thermometer to confirm its doneness.
How do you cook ground turkey so it is moist?
Add Fat: Use a bit of oil or butter to the pan to prevent drying. Don't Overcook: Cook until no longer pink, but avoid overcooking, as it can lead to dryness. Add Moisture: Incorporate broth, sauce, or vegetables with high water content to keep the meat moist. Cover While Cooking: Covering the pan can help retain moisture.
Monitor carefully and use a meat thermometer to ensure 165°F (73.9°C).
Is cooked ground turkey healthy?
Yes, cooked ground turkey can be a healthy option. It's lower in fat compared to ground beef and provides a good source of lean protein. Be sure to choose lean ground turkey and avoid adding excessive fats or oils during cooking. Incorporate herbs, spices, and vegetables for flavor. Remember, a balanced diet with variety is essential for overall health.
How should ground turkey be cooked?
Ground turkey can be cooked in various ways. For stuffed peppers, mix it with rice, tomato sauce, and seasonings. In a skillet, sauté with ground pork for added flavor. For a turkey breakfast option, create patties or scramble with eggs. For a spicy turkey chili, brown the meat, then simmer with tomato sauce, beans, and spices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How long should you cook ground turkey?
The cooking time for ground turkey depends on the specific recipe and method. For example, when making Italian turkey meatballs, they are typically cooked for about 15-20 minutes in tomato sauce. For turkey burgers, cook them for 6-8 minutes per side over medium-high heat. When preparing turkey meatballs, you might also need around 12-15 minutes of cooking time. Adjust as needed for corn tortillas, lettuce wraps, and other poultry recipes.
Does ground turkey need to be cooked?
Yes, ground turkey needs to be cooked before consumption to ensure it's safe to eat. Whether you're making meatballs, stove-top dishes, or using it in recipes, the meat should be fully cooked until no longer pink. Use a cooking method that breaks up the meat, like browning it on the stove. Adjust cooking times according to the specific recipe. The same applies to ground chicken.
How do you cook ground turkey so it is moist?
To keep ground turkey moist, use these methods: Add moisture-rich ingredients like diced vegetables, grated zucchini, or cooked quinoa to the mixture. Incorporate a bit of olive oil or yogurt. Cook over medium heat and avoid overcooking to prevent dryness. Use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), maintaining both safety and moisture.
Check Out Dalstrong Cookware Today
Written by Ananya Tiwari
Ananya loves the fine things in life. When she isn’t penning down poetry or song lyrics, she spends her time cooking and creating recipes while also enjoying new cuisines.
How do you add flavor to ground turkey? Turkey meat can be flavored with easy ingredients like kosher salt and pepper, bell peppers, garlic powder, and olive oil. If you're cooking meat, specifically turkey taco meat, hot sauce and enchilada sauce are your best mates.Do you season ground turkey before or after? ›
Before you start cooking, be sure to season the ground turkey well with salt and pepper. Also consider including dried herbs and spices for additional flavor.How to season ground turkey to taste like hamburger? ›
Mix the ground turkey with Worcestershire sauce and blend well with your hands. This sauce is the one extra ingredient that can make all the difference with flavor, and it also helps keep the turkey moist. Add other spices according to your own taste. A little salt and pepper is a must.What can I add to ground turkey to make it less dry? ›
To keep the turkey meat moist and flavorful, you should consider adding 2 tablespoons of oil per pound of meat.What gives turkey a good flavor? ›
Fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, and sage along with a half lemon go a long way to add flavor, and stuffing it into the bird takes almost no time at all.Do you wash ground turkey? ›
However, washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils and surfaces. We call this cross-contamination.Do you season ground meat before or after browning? ›
When it comes to seasoning your ground beef, wait until after it has been browned and drained. Adding salt to raw ground beef pulls out moisture, drying the meat out and creating steam while it cooks, which prevents it from browning properly. The same goes for other seasonings, but for a different reason.What makes ground turkey juicy? ›
Like with any recipe, it's all about balance, and it doesn't take much butter to make poultry burgers succulent. An easy ratio to remember is 2 tablespoons unsalted butter per 1 pound ground turkey or chicken. Here's what I do: Add the ground poultry and any add-ins (like egg, panko, or parsley) to a large bowl.How do you get the gamey taste out of ground turkey? ›
The distinct game flavor of either birds or animals will be milder after soaking the meat overnight in the refrigerator in either a salt or vinegar solution.How do you make ground turkey texture better? ›
If ground turkey is handled too roughly – for example, reground in a food processor – it compacts into a dry, hard mass. Garcia said the best way to mix ground turkey is in a bowl using a spatula or a wooden spoon. Ground turkey cooks in less time than beef.
Salt draws out the meat's juices, dissolves into them, and then is reabsorbed. Once reabsorbed, it breaks down the meat, making it more tender. Brining seasons the meat from within so it has flavor all the way through, not just on the outside. Brined meat can better retain moisture.How do you make a turkey juicy and not dry? ›
Brine your turkey for the best juicy bird.
In recent years, brining has become more popular and can be done with either a wet or dry brine. A wet brine involves immersing the turkey in a salt-water solution for 12-24 hours. Dry-brining is where salt is rubbed over the turkey skin for 24-48 hours before cooking.
Treat it like ground beef; any recipe that uses beef use turkey. Just know the fat content might be different! 1 spoonful Cumin, paprika, granulated garlic and granulated onion, black pepper, turmeric, chili powder, brown sugar, cinnamon. Take the spices and put them all into one bowl.How do you make turkey not taste bland? ›
In addition to sprinkling salt on the surface of the turkey, give your bird a big flavor boost by seasoning under the turkey's skin, too. Stir your favorite spices and herbs into softened butter, then rub it all over the turkey and under the skin.How to infuse a turkey with flavor? ›
- Basic Brine. Liquid: Chicken stock. Additions: 1 tsp sugar.
- Butter & Beer. Liquid: butter + beer. Additions: Worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce.
- Herby Turkey. Liquid: butter + chicken stock. ...
- Italian. Liquid: chicken stock + olive oil + red wine vinegar. ...
- Spicy & Smoky.
You can add more or less of any of the ground turkey seasonings. You might also want to try other spices that you enjoy. I have added Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, hot sauce, and Italian seasoning depending on what I'm using my ground meat for.